Harry Hope's Saloon

This blog takes it's name from the setting for O'Neill's The Iceman Cometh -- a lousy gin-mill; a smoked-out, greasy dive where the habitues have all landed, it seems, permanently. Their lives, in each case, are paralyzed by fear and laziness. Like my own.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?!!

Tonight I learned, listening to Weekend Edition on National Public Radio, that former presidents Geroge H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton are currently touring Thailand - to visit areas ravaged by last month's Tsunami.

"Both men," we are told "became emotional when given photos showing children being washed away by the tidal waves."

So ... why do I need to know this?

Mind you, there was no other information imparted. Just that the two presidents went to Thailand and choked up (or became quiet and reflective - whatever. I guess we are to use our imaginations) over photos of doomed children. It was reported so succinctly, a matter of such quick course. And I - cynically - wondered ... did they really? Why are you telling me just this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home