Harry Hope's Saloon

This blog takes it's name from the setting for O'Neill's The Iceman Cometh -- a lousy gin-mill; a smoked-out, greasy dive where the habitues have all landed, it seems, permanently. Their lives, in each case, are paralyzed by fear and laziness. Like my own.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

pontification

Man, I'm about to fucking lose it at just about every single article rigorously alternating the terms "pope" and "pontiff". What are you assholes trying to do, show off your SAT vocabularies? I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that the last time I read a story about someone's child, I didn't see gratuitous substitution of "offspring", "progeny", etc.

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Scott M. said...

How about these: "His Holiness", "the Supreme prelate", "descendant of Peter", "the man in the pointy hat", or maybe just .... "Rome"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home