Harry Hope's Saloon

This blog takes it's name from the setting for O'Neill's The Iceman Cometh -- a lousy gin-mill; a smoked-out, greasy dive where the habitues have all landed, it seems, permanently. Their lives, in each case, are paralyzed by fear and laziness. Like my own.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Fighting for Glory (oh yeah, and my freedom)

And he ran along the trench, with its mortars and riflemen, machinguns and grenadiers. And he killed them all.

I do not know exactly why - I think it was either an accident, or a lark - but my brother included my email address in a list when he shared this link today.

It's titled This Will Make You Proud - and it's a lustrous, adoring, genuflecting, tribute to "real American" Brian Chontosh, USMC, who directed his humvee into the buzzing center of a dark ambush, saving some of his marines, and killing and wounding dozens of enemies. Gasp.

Knowing my brother, I do believe I was being winked at. I recognized most of the other addresses/names in the cc list - family, and old friends of the family: a regular bunch of hard-working, boot-lacing, rifle-polishing, law-enforcing, law-breaking jacks and jackies.

I really don't like being a single inclusion on a mass email - not typically. But something about this was okay. I felt kind of special. Thanks bro. I love you, too. And ... gosh. Thank you Brian Chontosh!


P.S. The following, with a subtle wink of my own, was my reply, to the entire list:

Man.

Who the hell created this life-slandering treacle?

And why was it sent to me?? I'm not a military worshipping zombie ....

Is this supposed to be ironic?

3 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger J. Goard said...

...and fifty young men thought of this dude and his medal as they jumped out of their respective vehicles to be gunned down instantly. I don't recall hearing that on the evening news.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger saffron_blue said...

the iceman cometh! kevin spacey once played the lead on broadway. just wanted to say that and get that out of me. beautiful name for a blog! :-)

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Scott M. said...

Saffron -

Jason Robards, Jr. did once too (loooong time ago). I have that one on DVD.

I'm glad you like the name. Come back anytime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home